This summer Mario Götze ended the Germans’ 24-year wait to bring home a 4th FIFA World Cup, shooting a nail-biting goal that delivered a 1-0 win over Argentina, and unleashing a frenzy of celebration in Germany and around the world. The German team even travelled back home on a specially branded “Fanhansa” Lufthansa airplane to be cheered on by roughly 400,000 waiting fans in front of Berlin’s Brandenburg Gate.
Though this latest victory will certainly drive excitement for football-inspired meetings, for Germany, serving the sports & fitness industries through conferences and events is nothing new. Here are just a few examples of how Germany plays ball in the sports meeting world:
• In 2006, Germany played host to the FIFA World Cup with over 21M fans engaging in business and leisure activities across 12 German host cities from Hamburg, Leipzig and Stuttgart, to Munich, Frankfurt, Nuremberg, Hanover and others.
• Berlin, in addition to being one of these Word Cup host cities in 2006, also regularly provides a hot spot for sporting conferences, including for example, the MINEPS V World Sports Ministers Conference in 2013 and the Strategic Forum of the International Paralympic Committee due this autumn.
• Cycling enthusiasts stream to Friedrichshafen, close to both the Swiss and Austrian borders, each year to attend the Eurobike tradeshow. The 22nd edition of the show in 2013 attracted over 45,000 people from 111 countries.
• The finance-forward city of Frankfurt plays host to the J.P. Morgan Corporate Challenge® every year. This year’s race just took place in June 2014 with 71,735 entrants representing 2,781 companies, making it one of the world’s largest road races.
• Each April the world’s leading show for Fitness, Wellness and Health -- FIBO-- is held in Cologne bringing together over 700 exhibitors with 97,000 visitors.
If you’re interested in hosting a sport conference (or any other type of event) in Germany please head to www.germany-meetings.com
Why not seize the opportunity to expand your destination and venue knowledge and connect with up to 50 suppliers from over 20 countries?
Register today to meet the GCB as well as other German suppliers in pre-set appointments:
We look forward to seeing you in September!
Contact GCB: Ursula Winterbauer, Phone +49 69 24293012